Tuesday 11 October 2011

Two Unclaimed dogs and a Stray Pony.

Well I must say that this staffordshire bull terrier is winning me over.I hardly know he is here, he is so quiet and well behaved.He is to be neutered on Thursday so that should take care of the one problem he seems to have!
 The black cocker spaniel still has not been claimed which has surprised me though why I am ever surprised is beyond me - I should be used to unclaimed pets by now. The Dog wardens came today to see if she had a microchip in but as I told them we had already checked for that and the dog was in boarding kennels anyway.They thought she might have been a dog they had reported as missing but it turned out theirs was a Cavalier spaniel so not the same dog at all. 
I told them about the staffie Fraggle and how he was microchipped but the registered owner had denied  all knowledge and it seems this is occurring all the time, especially with staffies who tend to be  passed from home to home without the chip details being changed. They had quite a few cases similar and were unable to trace the real owners.

Now on to strays of another type. A young pony has turned up roaming around Lampeter and has been given temporary shelter until Friday ; I have been told if I don't collect him by that day ,  the meatman will be called in!"
No Pressure then! 
I have arranged to collect him (it is costing |£200) so  I am half hoping the owner WILL turn up before this. It could happen, the pony was found on Saturday and some people do not check their ponies every day, (the irresponsible ones)perhaps the owner does not yet know his animal is missing?
I had been hoping there would be no emergencies this winter as we have just about sorted out enough stabling for our own equines.It looks as though we may have to use at least one or two of our field shelters if any more turn up unexpectedly.
Much as I would love to take on every unwanted horse I have to think of issues such as whether there is enough grazing for another, whether taking on another would be to the detriment of those already in residence and of course the great expense. They require so much care and attention to keep them in tiptop condition and these factors have to be considered when making a decision to admit another. It would be so easy to agree to take on more, some of the stories really pull at the heartstrings but what would be the point of doing that if it meant that those we have would suffer. It is impossible to care for a large number of horses without the staff and the facilities ,and the money for veterinary ,farrier and dental treatment which they all need. So reluctantly and often with great sadness I have to be sensible. We have 36 horses and ponies here this winter and many are very old , requiring extra care and attention and already the staff have their work cut out, our horses need the best care we can give them.They rely on us and we cannot let them down.
Andre, the equine dentist has been here today and he was just amazed about old Noddy (see left)and the wonderful condition of his teeth. He said that the old pony  has All his teeth and for a 30 yrs old that would be pretty amazing but for an old chap of 38, it was incredibly unusual. Dear old Nod Nod.  He'll outlive us all!
Caspar. the bereaved pony has palled up with Noddy and Maggie so this winter he will be able to share their stable.Although many people keep their horses and ponies stabled individually I have always kept most of mine in groups and I find they are much happier stabled this way(as long as the stable is large enough)

So watch this space to see if the stray pony will be claimed!

No comments: