Sunday 11 March 2012

The squabbling Llamas.


Saturday:
It has been a lovely day (weather wise) It has been a treat not to be bundled up in winter clothes. It certainly looks like spring with all the daffodils in bloom along the roadsides and the birds must think so too. My visiting flock of 200 plus starlings seldom visit the bird table now. They can find food elsewhere easily enough as can the other garden birds.I am so glad that their constant foraging for food is a little easier with the onset of this warm weather but confess to missing their chattering and lively presence in my garden. Only the loyal chaffinches and sparrows  remain faithful to my daily treats.


Boys  behaving badly:
Rudy(at the back of photo) and Santa are squabbling daily.It is always Rudy who bullies Santa, he is clearly the dominant male.The vet has not got back in touch with me about castrating them, though in truth I am unsure that neutering them would be that effective at their age. Still, I can't think of anything else which may work .Llamas really do make the most  extraordinary sounds.
Santas screeching makes each tussle sound like an animal is being slaughtered.
Not a good sound to be heard coming from an  animal sanctuary!



Adoptions
We had a few visitors today - Olive cat (below) has been adopted and Teddy terrier has been reserved. He and Bertie , who were abandoned together, have started scratching and it appears that they have mange which will take some weeks(?) to clear/At least Teddy  has a home waiting for him when he recovers,  and Bertie has several people interested in offering him a home so that too is looking hopeful.Little Ella who was returned after 12 months, has been reserved too, and pending her home check will be leaving the care of Stefan within the next few days.
There has been a terrific response for these three terriers, small dogs are so popular and easy to rehome,.They are seldom with us for long. Perhaps tomorrow  will be the day of the bigger dogs! 
The animal welfare situation has changed so much since I  first became involved in it. Rarely did pedigree dogs end up in rescue centres(the few that existed) and now it is common to see them in all shelters throughout the Uk.  Everywhere I drive around here I see notices pinned to gates offering puppies for sale; it seems that many people who own a pedigree dog feel compelled to allow them to have at least one litter and this is , unfortunately,  often on veterinary advice. The old adage was to let a dog have one litter but nowadays the more enlightened vets advise people to spay as early as possible to prevent unwanted litters. Each time I see one of those notices advertising pups, I wonder how many will end up in rescue centres and I think if one were to know the answer it would be a frightening number!

Sunday:
A Rejected lamb.
Vanessa is fostering a day old lamb which was rejected by his mum. Last night,  Cariad was attending to her horses when  she spotted a sheep with twin lambs in the adjoining field. The mother was butting one lamb away every time it tried to feed so she informed the farmer who told her that "thats life, it will be dead in the morning!' Undeterred by his words Cariad decided to try and save the life of the little lamb and asked Vanessa to help with the round the clock care he needs at this tender age.
He  may be a weakling which his mother recognised,  but we can try, where there's life there's hope! He has been to the Vet and received colostrum which his mother may not have supplied if she has not allowed him to feed from her,  and without which he will definitely not make it. Tomorrow, if he survives he will go on to Lamblac, a substitute for ewes milk. In the meantime he is wrapped up warmly and has a heat pad to keep his body temperature up. We can only hope and do our best.

Patch comes to say hello:
Colin and Barbara from Saddleworth  brought Patch collie back to see his old friends at the shelter.
Patch had been an unwanted farm dog who was in imminent danger of being shot when he was rescued by Freshfields.If anyone has a doubt about adopting an ex farm collie they should visit their home and see what a well behaved, wonderful pet he has turned out to be. Colin told me that Patch is the best dog he has ever had and is so intelligent and loyal. They also said that you get back what you put in and I could not agree more.  If you fail to give a dog the exercise it needs, or basic  training  and companionship, then you will have a badly behaved dog on your hands. Seemple!

A Quiet day
No animals were adopted today, we seem to have hit a very dull patch for rehoming .Still, that gives me more time to catch up on the dreaded paperwork which is mind numbingly boring , but a very vital and necessary part of the job of  running a shelter. Fortified by several cups of coffee, I just about managed to keep awake during this exciting part  of  my day! I was chatting  this morning to my  old pal Dave who deals with the feral cat trapping and neutering for the Liverpool shelter.He feels that  he has completely changed from the radical youngster he used to be and that he likes a slower pace of life nowadays. Bearing in mind that he is 10 years younger than me, I was quite bemused by the vision of a laid back, sedate Mr C.(my nickname for him). I , on the other hand am always yearning for excitement and as the years pass, I find that has never left me.In fact I am more adventurous nowadays than I ever was.  I long for new experiences and challenges.  My 'get up and go' has most definitely not yet gone!

News from Romania
Today I had a visit from a very special person. Carla is the co-ordinator for the  rescue of  dogs from the shelter in Romania and four times a year she travels there from her home in Manchester. to give assistance to Gratiela, and to visit and help out at the local orphanage too. I know she will not thank me for saying she is special but I was awed by her determination  and strength. Carla was accompanied by her lovely mum Janice who is her biggest supporter in all she does,  and it brought to mind the closeness I shared with my own mother causing a lump to come to my throat.
The trip has been postponed for a few more weeks so it is likely to be the end of April when the dogs finally  arrive. Actually this suits me better than the original date of 1st of April, because it gives me more time to find foster homes for them. If at all possible, I want to place them in private homes sooner than kennels so they can experience the every day routine and noises of a normal household and perhaps have more of a chance to become lead /house trained.Any offers?
All are used to being around other dogs, most are middle aged between 6 -7 years old , with the exception of young Spikey who is the youngest at 12 months but whom suffers separation anxiety.


Finally, I would like to thank the people who took the time to send messages of support for our Romanian Dog Rescue.Your words meant a lot and were much appreciated.Thank you.
I do realise that we cannot save every animal in the world , but oh how I wish that it were possible

No comments: