Monday 14 April 2008

Trixie Loses the fight.


My lovely Trixie lost her fight for life today.She had recovered so well from the operation to remove a massive tumour and just a week ago was racing round the fields with the other Golden Girls.Then she started to cough and a course of antibiotics failed to clear it.Over the weekend she grew very quiet and was clearly having a struggle to breathe normally. Today she had an x-ray which showed she had tumours spreading throughout her lungs and I had to make the decision to let her go.She had only lived with me for two years from the age of 10 x, prior to that she had spent life chained but the day her owner took her to my Vet to be destroyed was the best thing that could have happened to Trixie.From being scared of her own shadow and terrified of people, she became a happy natured affectionate animal who adored Molly the Great dane and was always following her gazing at her with adoration and sleeping next to her in a giant basket. We will all miss her gentle presence very much.

3 comments:

Penkitty said...

So sorry, my thoughts are with you.

lesley said...

Thanks for the comment, it was much appreciated.(nice photo of your dog)Everyone has been very kind, esp[ecially those who knew Trixie and were as shocked as I over her rapid decline. Running an animal shelter means I have to deal with loss more often than most and although it is never easy, there are many others needing my care and attention.I cant grieve too long though her death affected me particularly badly.Some animals do this.

Jackie said...

Hi Lesley, thinking of you on the loss of your dear Trixie. Your comment about her only recently running around with the 'Golden Girls' reminds me of something that constantly amazes me about dogs. The resilience that they show, both in the face of serious illness and also in bouncing back from the most horrific rescue situations is something special to witness. Lots of love to you and sweet dreams to Trixie.
Jackie
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/freshfieldsdogshow