Tuesday 29 April 2008

Murphy and ex racehorse Jimmy


we have had a few enquiries about our bigger horses and a homevisit was done today for Jimmy the ex racehorse(His previous loan home turned out to be unsuitable)I hope this time he will stay out for good.He is a lovely horse with many good years ahead of him. There is someone coming on Sunday to see Murphy our 17 hands bay gelding. Both horses are real favourites of the staff but at the end of the day if the younger, fitter horses can be rehomed it makes room for others in need of our help. Murphy is a truly handsome horse with a gentle nature but several months ago someone came to see him and believe it or not, he took one look at him and said "I dont like him"!!!!! Now, he may not have been suitable for that particular person but how could anyone not like this beautiful creature? Needless to say my opinion of someone with that attitude is not high and he was rather quickly shown off the shelter. A great deal can be told by a persons general reaction to an animal.Lack of compassion is immediately apparent to anyone with any experience of rescue work. With horses there is always the chance someone is after them for the wrong reasons and in that instance I am sure this was the case.People often think they can obtain a cheap riding/working animal at a rescue centre. What they fail to realise is that no reputable charity would even consider a prospective owner with such an attitude.We want people who genuinely want to give a home to a rescued horse.
Today I have heard that a lady I know with ill health is planning to have her 4 ponies destroyed sooner than worry about their future without her. She has promised to come and talk to me before she does anything, I am hoping that she will reconsider and let me give them a home here for the rest of their lives.having seen the ponies, the idea of their destruction has upset me greatly. All 4 are over 20 years of age and that being the case they would live their lives out here, and could join the other oldies.
I know many people will be horrified at the decision this lady is considering but part of me understands.Nobody wants to think that their animals will end up being neglected or worse, but in this case a permanent home is available so this has to be the moral and compassionate course of action..Although I believe she is misguided I know she loves her ponies and is simply trying to make the right decision before anything happens to her. the plan is for her to visit on Tuesday so we can discuss the matter.

1 comment:

Little H said...

Hello ! I haven't found you before, but I can see here you are doing great work with Freshfields ! What a wonderful achievement, to set up TWO rescue centres - and be able to cater for such a variety of needy animals.

My own special interest is ex-racehorses, ( I have four - and obviously very little sense !) so I was drawn to your mention of Jummy. Did you manage to find him a suitable home ? I know it can be very hard with ex-racers, especialy older ones.

Do you loan your horses, or sell them ? I know many of the rescue centres only allow loans ( which I agree with) - but of course that then menas at some point the horse may come back - probably at a really inconvenient time re space and finances ! It's a difficult dilemma.

I agree with everything you say about sensing if someone has compassion for animals or not. I think the animals know it too - before we do ! And I can also entirely understand the lady who wanted to ensure the future of her old ponies by having them put to sleep. Far better that than having them sold on round the sales, and possibly ending up in unsuitable hands. Even better, though, that in this case, at least, you are there to step in and offer them homes or life ! it's just such a pity that there are not more people like you around.
Carry on the good work !