Sunday 6 April 2008

A real Winters day


When I threw back the curtains this morning, everywhere was covered in snow, the dogs took great delight racing about leaving their pawmarks dotted all over the white fields, they seem to enjoy it as much as children, Im sure that if they could throw snowballs at each other , they would do so.Their delight was so evident in their eyes and wagging tails. Not so however the cats who preferred the warmth of their beds to cold damp feet.
I took the photo from one of the top fields whilst exercising Buddy, a rather plain but endearing dog whose owners never exercised him and eventually discarded him.At first Buddy was overbearing, there was little eye contact with him, he was just too interested in the wide open spaces here. Now he knows he will receive regular exercise and freedom he has calmed down tremendously.
You can just about make out the house and office, with the stables beyond, it a wonderful view from the higher fields, the Irish Sea can be seen and quite often the ferry is also visible.I have been told that on a clear day the mountains in Ireland can be seen though I have not yet been able to pinpoint them and Im not sure which mountains they would be?
Great news about Sally, she is doing well in her new home,it doesnt seem the same without her but she has a good home and that is what the shelter is all about, she needed the one to one attention she so craved for and I could not be happier for her.
I was invited to be a guest speaker yesterday, at the Quaker Concern for Animals in Bangor.I was not sure what to expect and I always dread speaking about my work, however it was very enjoyable and it was a treat to meet so many caring and compassionate people.Sometimes it seems that compassion and sensitivity are characteristics which have become almost obsolete in todays society and when nice people cross my path, it awakens my faith in human nature (WELL FOR A SHORT TIME ANYWAY) Unfortunately I was late to the meeting because on the way I witnessed a cat being run over and had to stop and try to find his owner,After knocking on several doors I finally found an elderly lady who had been feeding him(he was a stray) for a year, she was inconsolable which made me tearful too.I brought him back to bury here.poor old chap.
The snow is clearing rapidly and now the clouds are darkening and rain is drizzling down, the horses are waiting to come in and Meirwen is doing their evening feeds, I need to go and feed the cats , walk the dogs again and then set about burning my own meal. Perhaps tonight I will be more successful and produce something edible!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.