Monday 14 July 2008

The Problem with Rabbits!

I was very upset this morning when Gail, one of the staff here found one of the rabbits dead in his pen.There was no mark on him, no sign of any problems and he had been eating well so I Decided to take them all to the vet today for a check up.The vet could find nothing wrong and felt the bun died from stress! I dont know how true that is, its a possibility of course but I am now extremely anxious about the remaining 4. If another dies in this way I will have to get some tests done, I am dreading tomorrow in case another goes.My friend Pat wrote a marvellous book called The problem with Rabbits and I searched high and low for my copy but could I find it?I couldnt even find Pats phone number - is this the first sign of old age? I dont remember being this forgetful years ago.Anyhow, I rang Lyn at Freshfields Liverpool, she has been looking after rabbits for years, I on the other hand have completely forgotten all I ever learned as I have been away from rabbit rescue for many years and the odd one or two which land up here have been healthy.Her advice was very helpful and hopefully once I have had them vaccinated against myxamotosis, they can be put on the waiting list to go to the Liverpool shelter, unless of course I find some good homes in this area.
The vet is coming out here tomorrow to see the horses so will ask him to bring some myx vaccine with him.Vanessa and Mei think that the bay pony Shane iseems to be walking a little more comfortably, I hope so as he has been in a lot of discomfort.Mei has discovered a new product (well, new to me anyway) via the internet, a paste called Lamisoothe used for horses joint problems and laminitis.Its worth a try but is a 24 day course so will not show immediate results
There was a nice comment on my last entry here but I dont know how to reply so if Sara from Lytham reads this please ring me on 01286 880808 and have a chat.

2 comments:

Angie said...

Hi Lesley there are copies of "Problem With Rabbits" on Amazon by Pat Rees & Rhian Thomas if that's the book you want.
Ron asked me to help with the street collection but I couldn't help this time. Hope to see you at the Open Day on Sunday and that the weather will be fine, it would be good if Sara from Lytham would like to meet there too, Angie

csmilie123 said...

This book is my bunny bible and is available at vets practices, online from animal sanctuaries, (mine from Hillside animal sanctuary in Norwich), and Amazon and, it has never failed me yet.