Thursday 3 July 2008

The farrier is shocked.



The farrier Frazer came today to see to the feet of the 8 Anglesey ponies and Tanya.He was shocked at the state of them all, so much so that he took photographs before he worked on them.All will need more work doing, they were too bad to do all at one go.Todays treatment alone cost £320 and there will be a lot more to be spent on them before they are walking correctly on well trimmed feet.Even with the little improvement made today they will all be feeling more comfortable but they must still have box rest for some time to come.Pictured above are 2 of the popnies Shane and Copper.
A couple of kittens went to homes today but the adult cats are just not moving.I have been asked to take so many more cats and there just isnt the room at the moment.Flossie was spayed today, ready to go to her new home tomorrow and I also had a stray ferret neutered which Roy from the Caernarfon shop had found and is fostering until a home can be found with another ferret.They are such social animals, like rabbits it is unkind to condemn them to a solitary life.Ferrets always had a bad press with most people thinking they were useful only for hunting rabbits and this was the only reason we were ever asked for them.They used to be very hard to home until the Pet rescue programmes on television showed them as lively and affectionate pets.Since then ferrets have become more popular with families who just want them as pets and we are able nowadays to place them in decent pet homes where they get the attention and care they deserve.
I have begun to identify some of the wild flowers growing here, including the brilliantly named Prunella Vulgaris!! How great is that name?For the uninitiated this is a small purple flower which grows out of a small poker like head.I am not good at descriptions Im afraid but it is commonly known as self heal! I was also able to identify red and white valerian which was growing outside a friends house, as valerian is commonly used in calming pills and potions , I felt inclined to gather a bunch to boil up in a witches brew to keep me sane! I refrained only because I was scared I had misidentified it or that it had to be somehow diluted and I would end up poisoning myself )Death by Valerian!
Donald and Dennis Ducks have been offered a home so will be going this weekend but Earl Bunny is still here, I must take a better photo and publicise him more.

No comments: