Tuesday 22 July 2008

I missed the Liverpool Open Day.

Well I have decided all bunnies except the frail one with Glaucoma are going in tomorrow to be neutered.There are not going to be enough homes available for A litter of babies. There are 5 here now and in spite of advertisements there have been no enquiries and have received an email today asking me to take on 2 more(lionhead rabbits)One of these has teeth which grow too quickly and need regular attention so they will not be too easy to rehome.
Bonnie the foxhound will have to go for another check up, her skin looks inflamed again, it look as though this will be a recurring condition, she is such a wonderful natured dog, so amiable but still very very nervous of strangers especially men.As she is quite clearly an ex working hound this does not surprise me, I have seen first hand the way they are treated and if the things I have seen happened to a family pet the RSPCA would be called in immediately.Foxhounds know no affection,they are a commodity to be used and discarded (usually shot)when no longer agile enough to work or breed.Bonnie is one of the lucky ones, she is so happy pottering around here with the other dogs.
The Liverpool shelter had its Open day Sunday, unfortunately I developed a migraine and was unable to attend, usually we have a stall there to promote this shelter so it was disappointing to say the least.I had spent hours printing our Sponsor a Pony leaflets and making display boards depicting scenes from the shelter and many of our animals here.Anyway it seems it was successful and the sun stayed out and the rain stayed away. Nice people from Criccieth are having a Garden party Open day for us on the 16th August so hopefully local animal lovers will be able to attend and show their support.This time we WILL have a stall so the display boards will find a use after all.Contact me for directions.
The Peru Trek is creeping nearer and nearer, I still have money to raise to make it worthwhile, the training is doing ok, I go twice a week to Kickboxing classes at the Martial Arts Academy in Caernarfon and exercise at home but I do need a few more trips up Snowdon to get me used to long hours of walking.
I have found and identified another wild flower - this one goes by the name of Stinking Bob!!!!! There is loads of it round here and I have never noticed it before, apparently it is a type of geranium.Who names them I wonder? Brilliant isnt it.so easy to remember.
A few days ago I passed a field in bangor which has a shetland pony grazing in it, the entire field was covered with the dreaded ragwort.I cant believe that any horse owner is not aware of the potentially fatal effect this weed can have on equines.Every time I walk the dogs I find a few more clumps on the fields and always return with an armful.How can this owner visit her pony and not do anything about it? I have informed the RSPCA but dont know if they will act on such a report though it is tantamount to neglect.I hope they are able to do something, there appears to be nobody living close by so could be a problem tracing the owner.
We are waiting for the horse vet to come out and xray the feet of the worst of the laminitic ponies.This needs to be done before the next farrier visit which is next Monday.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Hi Lesley, I don't know if you are aware that DEFRA have lots of information on the dreaded Ragwort. They can in certain circumstances, issue an enforcement notice on the occupier of the land, to clear it. Have a look at their site www.defra.gov.uk and type in ragwort in the search bar. I'm always on the look out for the stuff when I'm walking round our fields. Hope this info helps.