Sunday 13 July 2008

First time out for 3 of the Anglesey ponies.


The kittens are going out slowly but surely, but still no homes for the adults.Even after years doing this work, I still feel upset seeing the same cats here month after month.We have so many beautiful cats here but its always the same, when there are so many kittens available , the rehoming of adults slows to a halt.
We put the three healthiest Anglesey ponies out for the first time yesterday.They are still unable to be put on grass but at least they had some fresh air in our "laminitic" paddock , so callled because it has a covering of wood bark which is easy for lame horses to walk on.They clearly enjoyed themselves and spent a lot of time communicating with Sam and Murphy shetlands who were in the adjoining field.I have just heard that the people who were to have Sam and Murphy have backed out so I am very disappointed but there will be someone out there for them.I think people expect our horses to be free but we ask a one off donation which helps pay for the massive bills we have.Horses are expensive to keep and I dont think it is unreasonable to ask £350 for 2 young ponies.I think I will contact a few other shelters and compare this with others.I dont want to lose homes for them but on the other side I want people to be able to afford to keep them and we need some sort of income to help pay our own bills.
Five rabbits have been brought in to us, all are males which will have to be neutered and most are underweight, one with an eye infection.We struggled to find accommodation for them as we are not geared up for bunnies and other small animals.Currently they are sharing one of the old dog kennels and we are rotating them for exercise.They were removed from a farm where other animals were also showing signs of neglect, these have been reported to the RSPCA.Heres hoping they do something!
I want the Vet to visit tomorrow to look at some of the horses again.2 of the Anglesey ponies need to be checked and Old Tanya is moving very badly, I feel she is not improving as I would have hoped and I feel pessimistic about her future.i hope I am wrong.

1 comment:

sarah said...

I have been following your blog for a few months and I think you do wonderful work,I would very much like to help you in any way I can.I personally live in Lytham so obviously that is quite a distance but I am already invoved in rescue here and have a lot of experiance with animals. My main interest is problem dogs and I have had great results taking in many dogs which would have other wise put to sleep.
Currently I am fully commited as I have five dogs and four cats,however I often know of very good homes which I may be able to refer to you.
Unfortunately I am not overly impressed with the local rescue centre here for various reasons.I understand of course if Lytham is too far out of your catchment area ,and if this is the case then I shall do my best to raise funds for Freshfields as I feel that you do an exeptional job at giving animals a second chance that many others would not look twice at.
Well done you are doing a truly wonderful job!