Saturday 5 July 2008

An email from California.

I received an email today from a friend in California, Katy has ponies of her own and also helps at a horse rescue. Recently a raging fire threatened to engulf her home and she was allowed to leave work to go and rescue her ponies.After moving them to a place of safety she was told the fire had spread to the vicinity of the Horse rescue so she and her husband jumped in their van to go and help but were held back by firefighters.I can just imagine her feeling of panic and distress, however after some time she discovered that all the horses had been moved out safely so she stayed to help with others whose homes and animals were in danger. She helped rescue some LLamas though sadly some did perish, along with some domestic pets.Several people lost their homes before the fire was put out but fortunately when Katy returned to her own home it was still standing and intact.
It made me realise how terrifying such a situation could be and that we should have an emergency plan for evacuation should any kind of catastrophe occur.That is top of my agenda this week.
We all continue to be concerned over Shane who seems to be in more discomfort with his feet than the other Anglesey ponies, even the little grey mare Judy seems a little more mobile and she was particularly bad when she arrived, in fact she was the one I felt may not survive.We are going to try another supplement in his feed to see if that helps.
The Bangor Chronicle publishes an article about our large number of kittens needing homes and we have had several calls so I am hopeful some will go this weekend.
A small piece about the planning application I have put in to the Council was featured in the local newspaper so I should hear fairly soon whether it has been approved or not. I have sent in an overall plan of how I want to improve the shelter, starting with the old cattery being pulled down and rebuilt and the same with the other old wooden buildings. I have doubts about it being passed but I have to start somewhere if the shelter is to stay here amd the facilities improved.At the moment I feel uncomfortable showing people around, its always clean but it looks shabby.I so envy the state of the art shelters which belong to the national organisations with unlimited funds. Oh well I can but dream!

No comments: