Friday 2 November 2007

Xmas is coming!


This is the time of year animal shelters become busier than ever. The prospect of Christmas looming closer and closer seems to make people make decisions other than what presents to buy.Its the time when more people than ever get rid of their unwanted pets.I have often wondered exactly why this phenomena occurs every november and continues remorselessly usually until a few days before the 25th December . I have to assume it is because these owners are planning their holiday time and pets are not part of the festivities.This is the time to get rid of their pets, pets which have lost their appeal and become a nuisance rather than a joy to have around. We live in an easy come, easy go society and due to this attitude many defenceless animals will suffer.Such people have totally lost sight of what Christmas is really about, I am not a deeply religous person but it appalls me that this holiday actually seems to be the catalyst for large numbers of pets being abandoned, not to mention the millions of poor creatures intensively farmed en masse for this FESTIVE time!
One of my own family pets was a tiny puppy found in the snow one Christmas Day, Scamp was adopted by my sister Sandra and lived to a great age , he was one of the lucky ones who found a home. I was once woken from my sleep late on Christmas Eve by a man with a spaniel puppy, I got dressed to open up the shelter to take the pup in, he signed it over, saying he had made a big mistake buying it for his young children.The pup had nipped them (in play) He made no apology for the lateness of the hour. Christmas Day he turned up again demanding it back!!!!! Even with all the publicity about not buying pets for Xmas, we still receive many many calls from those wanting to buy a pet for a present. I find it hard to believe the mnessage has not got through.
Winter also brings loads of calls about the welfare of horses,I have been today to see some horses which were reported as neglected and I expect to receive many more such calls. Topday we have been asked to find homes for 2 pigs, 2 Pygmy goats and 3 horses, not to mention the dozens of stray and unwanted cats and dogs awaiting homes. We took in 2 cats via the social services and are expecting another from the same home on Monday.Jack the jack Russell has been rehomed thanks to his photo displayed in our Porthmadog shop window and 2 adult cats have gone out to new owners.There is a possible home for 2 of our shetland ponies and one pony Crystal which was to come in to the shelter has been fostered by Kirsty and Lyn from the Liverpool shelter .Another pony, a shetland foal from the Shetland Isles has been rescued with the help Of Stef a freshfields volunteer and is now in a loan home in Derbyshire(photos of both these ponies to be published in futre blog)Another horse waiting to come in has possibly been rehomed, I am waiting to hear if the home visit has been successful.
William the lurcher is now barking to tell me its time for bed so I must go before he gets upset! Its not a good night for him, there are fireworks in the distance and his keen ears have picked up on it, he is terrified of the sound and I have to comfort him as best I can.None of the others show any concern but William shakes from head to foot, it could be that he associates the sound with gunshot, he has arthritis in his back and hips caused by the retention of leadshot in his body.The vet told me that he had at some time been shot with a 12 bore shotgun !! Poor old William.His favourite place to sleep is either in my car or with the old cats in the conservatory , he comes in the house just before I go to bed but tonight he couldnt wait to get inside away from the noise. Pictured above in his favourite place.

No comments: