Wednesday 28 November 2007

A pony returned and more collies!



We have been asked to take back William, an elderly pony who was rehomed around 4 months ago to a lady who runs a boarding kennels in Abergele.He had gone to be a companion to another pony and the woman seemed very nice, the facilities there were wonderful.I had arranged transport to move him back to the shelter and I have had a phone call saying the woman has gone out!There was nobody at home!The collection of the pony had been arranged for today! Even those who appear to be good owners need checking on regularly, this appeared to be a wonderful permanent home, now she says that she is moving and cant take the ponies with her! I despair of people! William is n ow on his way back to the shelter, I wont rehome him again, he can stay with the oldies here for the rest of his life.
A call from an industrial estate informed us that a cat was wandering around aimlessly following people and crying pitifully, Roy rushed out to collect him, the catis now warm and dry in the cattery but is a very smelly male whose"bits' are still very much in place.Another one for the vet!
It is very very quiet for homes so I have sent an article to two local newspapers in the hope that they will publish it next week and some homes will be found.As it getting closer to Christmas I have little time to do this, the shelter will have a cut off date for rehoming animals in order to prevent pets being given as Christmas presents.Apart from that it is not a good time to introduce a new pet into the household, there is too much activity and if there are children in the house, they tend to becomne overexcited, there is always a chance with vistors arriving that the front door will be left open and the animal will make a bolt for freedom.All in all it is not conducive to the welfarE of any pet.
Another ex farm dog is here,Lassie belonged to an elderly farmer who was retiring.Like so many farm dogs, she is nervous and shy.Ben another collie is in our care because his owner is awaiting a prison sentence in Liverpool.At the moment I dont know if I am able to find him another home, I am waiting to hear the result of the owners court appearance. Sam a stray kelpie is being fostered by Rosie who cares for our horses, he is probably also a farm dog, this breed is used a lot by farmers in this area.He too is shy and nervous but loves the company of other dogs and will make someone a nice family pet.
I am feeling overwhelmed by the number of dogs I am being asked to take, Im struggling with feelings of inadequacy as I cannot help many with my current situation of having no kennels.The liverpool shelter is unable to help, sometimes they have been able to take one for me but they have so many requests at this time of year they are in an impossible situation themselves. I wish something could be done in this area to help the many unwanted and abandoned dogs, there is simply nowhere for them to go, it is a heartbreaking task answering telephone calls all day long about these poor dogs and have no way of helping most of them.
Luckily I am able to help most of the people who ring about cats although I could do with about 20 more cat pens!At least the waiting list is not that long and I generally can make room within a few weeks.
The Big horses are now able to come in to warm stables and I am so pleased, I dont like it when the weather is horrendous.When the rain is torrential and hurricane like winds mean that I am warm indoors and the 4 big horses are outside trying to squeeze into the field shelters (only big enough for 2 large horses)I find it hard to sleep.Picture is of Rocky just after we moved the pigs, he has a look of total amazement at the sudden arrival of these non equine neighbours!

1 comment:

Jan said...

I have a special place in my heart for Collies, having had one for 14 years. He passed on 10 years ago and I still miss him today. You can only do what you can do with the resources you have and don't forget you do far more, and care far more, than most.

Poor William, bless him he just doesn't deserve so much upheaval at his age.

Sometimes I get really sad, but then I go round collecting with my envelopes or tins and I meet so many people who really care and so many people with a great affection for Freshfields - who truly want to help.

One way or another, I will find a way of harnessing that potential help and each sad story I hear only makes me more and more determined to succeed.

Take care

Jan