Sunday 11 November 2007

Ospreys in New York and a tame sparrow.


Another weekend almost over,I have really been at my wits end with poor William and his terror of the fireworks. When will it end? I have decided to leaflet the neighbours in the village to beg them to have some consideration for the animals in this rural area and next year to simply have one bonfire night and not 2 weeks of it.Mei said her chihuaua nearly had a stroke with the fear.It really is unfair.
Well a few more cats have gone out to homes, all the jack russell pups have gone, 2 have found a home with Mark, our new volunteer and his house mate Claire.How wonderful it would be if all our animals were so popular!
The wild birds have been foraging desperately for food so I have been busy putting out nuts and bird seed on my new deluxe bird table. Unfortunately after filling all the containers and liberally scattering seed and fruit on the table, I lost my balance and fell, taking with me in my arms(no idea how that happened!)the entire bird table and its contents. Thank heavens nobody was around to witness my humiliation! I have always been clumsy so it will be of no great surprise to anyone who knows me. Speaking of birds, when my partner Steve was alive and working with me in Liverpool, he successfully hand reared a tiny bald sparrow chick. I feared it would never survive and warned him to be realistic and not bank on the tiny creature surviving. Happily I was proved wrong and it became a common sight to see Steve working with a tiny sparrow perched on his head or on his shoulder.He grew all his feathers (the bird, not Steve)and eventually left the confines of the shelter but soon returned with a mate which he brought into the wildlife unit for food.This happened every morning, the two sparrows would perch on one of the cages waiting for Steve to feed them, have their breakfast and would fly off into the surrounding bushes. To this day I wish I had taken a photograph, it was an amazing sight.Now I try never to have a camera far away from me.
Well I dont have a photo of that little bird so am including a photo I took of Ospreys on a beach on Long Island, New York when I stayed with a friend.Not quite a hand reared sparrow but still pretty amazing.

No comments: