Sunday 25 November 2007

Will Bud appeal to people?


Ross is truly back to his old self now, whaT A RELIEF! There is something odd going on at an animal shelter near Lampeter where we have our shop.Ty Agored was run for many years by a lovely lady called Barbara, when she retired she sold to people who intended to continue the rescue work.Since then there have been many disenchanted supporters unhappy with the way it is now being run. I personally know nothing either good or bad, having had no dealings at all with the new people, that is until yesterday when I was contacted by a young woman with a newborn baby wanting to get rid of a greyhound.It appears she was sold this dog by the shelter in lampeter when she was heavily pregnant (how irresponsible is that?)and now 16 weeks later she no longer wants it.When she contacted the shelter they refused to take it back and told her to take it to Freshfields!!! All the shelters I know take back their own animals, in fact it is part of the adoption agreement, I have never heard of one reneging on this and sending an animal to another charity. I hope this is not shades of things to come because all shelters have enough to cope with when we have our pets returned. In the meantime I will sit on the fence, and hope this was a one off ! All charities can have bad press and there are always people ready to badmouth for one reason or another, sometimes simply because they have quite legitimately and reasonably been refused an animal. The greyhound who is quite elderly has been fostered by a nice lady who kindly collected him from the young woman.(when she arrived at the house she saw that he was being kept in a coal shed)
I am inundated with requests to take unwanted dogs, its the same old scenario, Xmas is getting closer and closer! I am trying to get as many as I can in foster homes but have now run out of places to put any. Its a bad situation here as there Is no dog Shelter in this area.Paws, a local dog rescue group try their best but have no kennels, they rely on boarding kennels so have limited space available. Some of these dogs have either been chained for long periods of time on farms or have had no training which makes them hard to home, even in a temporary situation. Currently I am desperately trying to place a young cross jack russell/collie who in 9 months of life has had several homes, now he is showing signs of distress(chewing) he is unwanted once more.There is a staffordshire bull terrier/collie who has not had any exercise for a long time and now he is hyperactive the owners want rid of him!!! Poor BUd just needs to get out and run off his pent up energy.Why oh why do some people get dogs? As I have no kennels I request that the owners send me a photo and I then advertise them in our charity shops, this is reasonably successful but sadly not for the plainer looking animals. Will it help Bud? I am not a fan of staffy types but this dog has an appealing look so maybe, just maybe he will appeal to someone nice.
Yippee - our new double mobile stable has finally arrived, we had been expecting it every weekend but its finally here, it just needs the rubber matting put down inside and then we can get the big horses in from the fields.Not before time, the evenings are getting very cold and I hate seeing them watching the others coming in at night to warm stables. Your turn now big boys!
Last week as I was driving down the track on my way out , I spotted a small flock of birds with yellow breasts but could not find my binoculars to have a closer look, yesterday in almost the same spot another flock of birds flew onto a fence near me and to my delight I realised these were yellow hammers of which I have only previously seen photographs. Only another bird enthusiast would understand my excitement,it can be very boring to the uninitiated. Last weeks birds remain unidentifiied but I THINK they were siskins.I must buy a light pair of binoculars which I can carry round with me, and with that little message to myself I will end my birdwatching tale and make yet another attempt at cooking myself a meal without burning it! Wish me luck.

No comments: