Thursday 15 July 2010

Patience...


Even a new computer hasn't stopped the problems I have been having. There has been a problem with the broadband line and I had to wait ove a week for BT to sort it out.
So much has happened lately I hardly know where to stat but a good place might be with thanks to everyone who sent me text and e.mails when William died. I was overwhelmwed by the kindness and sympathy shown even by people who had not met my canine best friend in person. It has been hard without his constant presence and I still keep looking for him and even making his meal but it is becoming easier day by day and I am fortunate in that I have other animals who need my attention and love. I do not have the luxury of grieving and falling apart for which I am grateful, I would have it any other way. William will always be in my heart and mind and I have memories and a beautiful painting of him done on slate which the staff here gave me for Christmas Last year. I look at that and it is as though he is here with me.
Probably the best thing that has happened is that Jade the Staffie has gone to a new home after a year here with us. We are all so thrilled for her and hope she enjoys her new life and that life at the shelter will become a distant memory for her. Jade was happy here, after all her previous home was a very inadequate and unloving place to be and Freshfields became a a place of kindness and security for her. That not withstanding, her loving nature needed nurturing and although we did our best to give her as much attention as we possibly could, nothing compares to a real home life. Now she finally will receive that she needs and more. Brilliant!
Actually having read those two sentences back it has occurred to me that they might have been written about ME! Are there any offers for a past her best female with a penchant for handbags and shoes, an overwhelming and currently unfulfilled desire to live a life of laziness and luxury who comes complete with a family of 6 dogs and 4 cats? I will be checking my mailbox anxiously from here on!
Actually having read those two sentences back it has occurred to me that they might have been written about ME! Are there any offers for a past her best female with a penchant for handbags and shoes, an overwhelming and currently unfulfilled desire it live a life of laziness and luxury who comes complete with a family of 6 dogs and 4 cats? I will be checking my mailbox anxiously from here on!
Many of the kittens have left us onto pastures new, there is a slow but steady stream of people ready to adopt our animals at the moment. ( and long may it continue) The little Siamese crosses have just gone to the people who had waited patiently for them to "come of age." Of course as one litter goes out there is always another one or four more waiting in a queue for a warm comfy pen with lots of food and a cosy bed. Always in the back of my mind when we home animals is "Which ones do we bring in next, which is the most urgent and needy?" I am waiting for a call from a local lady who has a mother cat and her two babies in the garden, she is on edge because her bull terrier hates cats and it's urgent that she be removed as soon as possible. Unfortunately cats always seem to do a vanishing tick when there are plans afoot for them and she has not seen her for days. There is also an 8 year old cat taken to a vet for destruction which foster mum Dorothy has taken till we have room and also another foster carer Mion has 2 cats we need to bring in when we have space. It's always a case of prioritising and desperately trying to make room but somehow we manage to do so most of the time.
On the dog side of things we needed to admit the two brothers of Misty the collie.Their situation is not good but until Buster the cross Lab goes there is no more room. Misty and Gill another ex farm collie are both in season so there is no chance they can double up with them.
I hate to write about sad things but this week we also lost dear little Connie Shetland. Of course it was not entirely unexpected, she had been having problems over the last six months and the vet had been called out a few times to help with obstructions in her throat. We decided enough was enough , she was too old to continue this way and so we had to make the decision to let her go. It's never easy but she had been with us for 5 happy years and had greatly enjoyed the company of other pones - Titch and Grandad being her best friends. What really annoys me is that when we admitted Connie from a wildlife centre In Gloucester where she had lived for several years her original owner came rushing down here to check on his beloved pony! Having seemed how happy and well she looked he was seemingly overjoyed, however despite his expensive car and designer clothes he failed to leave a donation towards her upkeep and to this day we have never heard from him! So much for a concerned owner! Titch and Grandad have now bonded and after a day or two of grieving they have settled down. Horses and ponies are amazing creatures, they have such capacity for friendship and emotion, something they are often not accredited with.
I think I'll check my mailbox now....

No comments: