Wednesday 16 January 2008

A timid lurcher arrives.


It has been a particularly busy day on the phone with people wanting homes for animals, most oif them have been for dogs and cats but I have had several calls about horses and 2 about pigs and goats.This is when I wish there was more land here, more money, more staff etc. There is only so much to be done with the amount of grazing here but the need for a sanctuary in this part of the Uk becomes more obvious as each day goes by. I feel frustrated and inadequate at the number of animals I am able to help and can only hope that one day in the not too distant future this shelter will have beter facilities and more land.The farmer next door has land to sell but at such a price it is inconceivable at the moment.It would be wonderful to be able to extend Freshfields with that additional acreage, maybe I should set up an appeal?
Like so many others I have been distressed at the case reported in the papers about the neglected horses in Buckinghamshire.I cant help wondering why these animals are allowed to get to the point of death before anyone intervenes though I have heard that neighbours had reported the owner over the past few years,If that truly is the case, someone , somewhere needs to take responsibility for the mishandling of the situation.
It seems there is another wave of kittens around, 2 beautiful litters have arrived along with their 2 pretty tortie mums, Im sure it wont be long before they are all snapped up by potential owners.The cats are moving quite well, I| know you shouldnt have favourites but I think we all do and Sunny a handsome young ginger who has been here a long time has now gone to a home where I hope he will not be too unsettled.I always worry about the timid ones because they are so fearful going somehwre new though I know eventually it is for the best.I really loved Sunny so I will be anxiously waiting to hear how he is.
Lucas, a young black lurcher(photo above) was found shivering in the rain and very distressed, he has now been neutered and is sharing a pen with Sally and Pal our longterm collies.Lurchers can be quite nervous dogs but he seems unduly so, he is desperate to make friends but to scared to allow a cuddle.Hopefully we will soon win him over!

No comments: