Sunday 20 January 2008

Changes ahead for Freshfields.


Pictured are two of the [pygmy goats we have been asked to rehome.Dorothy and Marmite had been childrens pets, however the children had lost interest and so the goats were due to be sent to market! They went straight to "foster parents" who have fallen in love with them and have offered them a permanent home(along with 4 Freshfields ponies)We are often asked to take goats but they do need very secure homes as most would escape from Alcatraz! I think many people take them on when they are cute little babies but like all animals they grow quickly and then all of a sudden the cute little kids are butting people with their hard little heads and horns and escaping from every paddock they inhabit! I remember my sister taking on two rescued (horned) pygmy goats and they proved to be a real handful, frequently knocking her flying, and believe me she is no Kylie Minogue (no offence Sandra, I just meant being 5ft 10 tall)
Today 2 cats went to homes and someone is coming next weekend all the way from Cardiff, South Wales to take Sparkles a little cat with a deformed paw who needs a safe indoor home.It is great when special needs animals find homes, it always makes the job seem worthwhile and makes up for the many sad events which occur in a rescue centre.
Dave , The manager of the LIverpool shelter is leaving after working alongside me at Freshfields for a long long time (on and off) since it first started all those years ago. so it has been a time of great stress, trying to find a replacement.Dave knows the shelter so well he will be greatly missed and I cant imagine what it will be like once he has gone, it is the end of an era and I have to remind myself that nothing stays the same forever and think ahead to the future of both shelters, Liverpool and Wales.Im sure he will feel a sense of relief to be no longer working under the inevitable pressure running a rescue centre brings but Im equally sure he will feel a gap in his life for some time afterwards.I cant imagine myself leaving although obviously at some time in the future I will have to hand over the reins to someone younger - not just yet though, I still have a fair amount of vitality left!!!!

No comments: