Saturday 26 January 2008

A letter of appreciation means a lot.


Its been a very busy few weeks, the manager of Liverpool shelter has left after working for Freshfields since its very early days.Ive been backwards and forwards to Liverppol interviewing potential managers.A new manager will start Monday with 2 deputy managers and I am very hopeful that the new team will work well together.If this happens I will feel a lot easier in my mind, I seem to spend more time worrying about things happening at Liverpool, than I do the shelter here in Wales.I need to get back to setting this shelter on the map! When I started this charity 30 years ago, it never occurred to me that I would have to spend so much time doing paperwork and administration, to be honest had I thought about the effect running a busy animal shelter would have on my life I am sure I would have run a mile!
Anyway here I am all these years later struggling with the paperwork and the responsibilites, theres nothing glamorous about this work! I have to admit I cant imagine doing anything else which would be even half as satisfying.
On the way back from Liverpool I stopped at a village near Mold to collect an old cat whose elderly carer had died. Melvyn the son of the deceased woman had telephoned me to ask if I could take Moses the old stray his mother had been feeding for many years(he thinks he may be as old as 17) He was unable to care for him as he lived in an upstairs flat in Liverpool and Moses had been used to a rural lifestyle.Moses had been an outdoor cat all his life but was very affectionate and gentle and I gladly brought him back to the shelter.
When I returned I settled the cat in his new quarters and read the letter Melvyn had given me (along with a welcome donation)It was incredibly moving - I quote from the letter.
" Moses has been badly abused in the past and does not trust people though he longs for affection and kindness,I am so grateful to you for giving him the chance of this for once in his life.I dont know why my mother never found him a home or allowed him in the house though |I think it was because she knew she did not have long herself (she was in her 80s)Knowing he is finally going to be happy and receive the love and affection he so desperately wants has given me joy and hope"
It is rare for people who hand over pets to write such a moving letter and it really made me feel that this job truly is worthwhile, not just because many animals are rescued but also to know that we have brought peace of mind to a very caring kind person like Melvyn and others like him.
Already Moses is worming his way into our affections, he is an enormous longhaired cat with a shy but gentle character and he does not look his age.If I dont find him a home he could very well become a permanent resident here.

No comments: