Thursday 25 December 2008

Both animals returned on Christmas day.


I cant believe it. Both animals rehomed yesterday were returned, Pip at 7.30am! the cat was returned some hours later.Pip had been attacked by the familys other dog so there was a real reason for their state of panic and subsequent journey back to Wales, however the cat was returned after giving the couple a "traumatic evening"( their words not mine) The trauma - she wanted to stay on the worktop!!!! As anyone who has ever brought a new cat into the house with other animals will know, they need to feel safe somewhere whilst they assess the new situation.They didnt even give her 24 hours to settle and adapt in spite of all that was said to them prior to taking her home. This makes me very angry and also very disheartened that I can be so wrong about people after all the years I have been doing this work.To add to my anger I was handed a letter to read about their "traumatic evening" which stated that it would be cruel to keep her to be shouted at and threatened every few minutes!!!! To say I saw red would be an understatement.
Oh well, Happy Christmas.
Other than that all is well at the shelter, as usual the staff came in earlier this morning and I had a full day off, the only one during the year though by afternoon I was bored and had to emerge from my TV and chocolate induced stupor to feed the cats.After such an early breakfast they were glad to see me and I was pleased to be doing something useful.
It has been a warm almost spring like day which has been nice for the animals.I am worried about Cariad our resident ginger and white fluffy cat, she seems a bit wobbly on her back legs, I need to keep an eye on her over the next few days.
The horses are eating hay like its going out of fashion, at this time of year there is little grass so we spend an exorbitant amount of money buying in hay and haylage but we have had some donations of food and even 24 bales of hay were donated which was very welcome.The main herd are pictured above round the ring feeder.

2 comments:

roy said...

Hi Lesley, Lovely dog the Lurcher named, choco now I hear. Nobody wanted to know about him neither the Caernarfon vets or the Police or RSPCA. If Cheryl from the shop had not rescued him and kept him for the night the Warden would have had him destroyed .Nice to know he is now safe and being fostered, ROY

Janice Gillett said...

People never cease to amaze me at how they expect an animal to come into a new home and simply fit. If humanity would simply 'think" what if it were me and then do everything they could to help the new one adapt to his new scary surroundings until trust is built between them both. But for most humanity is selfish and wouldn't have the foggiest notion on how to apply common sense. Most should be handed a toy so they can sit it up right , not a living breathing animal.