Saturday 10 May 2008

I adopt a baby elephant


Sam the cat we were trying to trap, finally was enticed inside, he is now settled in one of the cat pens and seems happy to be here.His deceased owner was very fond of him but the family wanted no responsibility for Sam - same old story.Only for a friend of the gentleman, we might not have heard of Sams plight.Its good some people are caring and who think of how the owner would feel knowing nobody was taking care of a beloved pet.As soon as Sam came out the trap, he was purring away and pushing his head against my hand, you could tell immediately he was relieved to be somwhere safe.
A man turned up today with a young Welsh Springer spaniel, he had only owned her for 2 days but he could not keep her contained in his garden and of course we are surrounded by sheep in this area so a wandering dog has little chance of survival.Millie was one of a litter bred locally, why people do this is beyond me, there are so many unwanted and homeless dogs round here and so few good homes. Rosie has promised to foster her until we can find her a home, she is a sweet natured dog, good with cats, dogs, children, horses even but she needs a home with a secure fence.This poses a problem as so many gardens here have stonewalls which are easy for most dogs to leap over.
The telephone is out of order today so it has been peaceful but of course it is not conducive to finding homes and we have homed nothing at all today which is very disheartening.maybe tomorrow will be better.
Today a friend gave me the gift of adopting a baby elephantin my name at the elephant orphanage in kenya.I was thrilled to bits as I adore elephants and the highlight of my holiday last year was a trip to this same orphanage.My foster baby is called lempaute and is a 2 years old female who lost her family at the asge of 2 weeks, maybe one day I will be able to return and pay her a visit.The photo is of me with an orphaned baby, she was so adorable but its so sad she had no family to care for her.I find it heartwarming that all over the world there are good people who do their best to help the needy animals in their countries.Overseas animal abuse can be overwhelming and I am glad in one way that I am involved in the Uk though there is such a shortage of animal welfare workers in many countries. I think I am too cowardly to do such work, I admire those who work overseas fighting against appalling ignorance and lack of education, they have a very difficult job to do.

No comments: