Sunday 4 May 2008

bank Holiday Bunnies.



So much for the lovely weather we started to enjoy! Today we are experiencing torrential rain.It didnt seem to put visitors off as we were busy all day today. The kittens which had been fostered came in and were adopted out almost immediately.The pretty tortie mum will be spayed next week, she is a lovely cat and will probably find a home very quickly.Another cat, Archie ,was found a home via the catchat website, Archie was everybodys favourite from the day he arrived, such a scared cat who spent all his time hiding under a blanket, every day he seemed to gain confidence, at first only his head could be seen, we would place his food near to him and he would lean out to eat, retreating as soon as the bowl was clean.After a month he started to creep out to eat whilst we were present and now he is such an affectionate cat, he does not seem the same animal.His new family have promised photos when he settles in.I will look forward to seeing them.
The second adult cat to go this weekend is Caine a handsome middle aged fellow with a thick fluffy coat.he came in with 2 others when their owner passed away, all were so friendly unlike many cats who have been with elderly owners and have had little or no contact with others.As I am writing this I receive a phone call to tell me that he has already made himself at home. That news is always so good to hear, homing animals can be a great worry, we try to do our best but with the best will in the world mistakes can be made and to hear that all is well brings a sense of relief to all of us.
Well Ive cracked it with Toby, the dog who liked everyone but me,seems now I am his favourite person! I have tried all weekend to get a photo of us, the two new best friends but he is so squirmy, he wouldnt stay still long enough, I will keep trying if only to prove that Toby and I REALLY have made friends now.
We have admitted 2 rabbits today, the children have lost interest etc etc. I am first to admit that I have no experience whatsoever of parenting , however, when I was a child, I too lost interest in my rabbits. My mother would not consider giving them away, instead she appealed to my better nature to continue caring for them. My concern is that when children lose interest and parents readily help them by giving the pets away, does this not then instil in them a sense of irresponsibility? Is it then a case of dont worry mum and dad will sort it out? Surely it would be better to explain that animal shelters are already full of unwanted pets and force them to take responsibility, if they wanted a pet so much it HAS to be cared for, not just for a few months but for the rest of its life.|As I said before I am no expert so maybe this is impossible with some children but surely the removal of privileges would do the trick? All I know is that NONE of our family pets were ever given away.
The rabbits are both male so will have to be kept seperate and I will get them neutered as soon as possible.Ralphie and Chester your dominant male days will soon be over.

No comments: