Tuesday 6 May 2008

Finlay in his new home



It has been very quiet the last few days, which is good in one way because we can get on with work and there are no interruptions, however it means that fewer animals are homed which is always disappointing.
The good news is that the lady with the 4 ponies has been to see me and after a long discussion she has decided to bring her ponies to the shelter and not have them destroyed as originally planned.I am so relieved that she has changed her mind. I know she was worried about their future otherwise she would not have contemplated such an extreme solution to her problems , she has loved and cared for these animals for over 20 years and now her health is failing , she has been terrified that the ponies will end up being neglected or passed on from home to home. I have been able to reassure her that they will have a home here for the rest of their lives and she can visit whenever she wants. They will join the other elderly ponies who are permanent residents.They will be arriving at the end of the month,
I am still receiving calls about Finlay the white GSD rescued from a dog pound, he was adopted by Rhian who often brings him to work with her, he is completely devoted to her..Nobody who meets him can believe he was not only unwanted but due to be destroyed! he is such a handsome dog and so good natured. Pictured above in his new home with Louis another of Rhians dogs.This photo is so good, I am wondering if I could make use of it for a charity card.Rhian has taken some excellent photos, I wish mine were as good.
A very neglected, poorly cat was brought in yesterday, poor old girl looked terrible and I was not hopeful about her prognosis.Sure enough the vet today diagnosed mouth cancer and she had to be put to sleep. At least she spent the night in comfort.
Today, I took a cat trap to Bangor, where a Freshfields cat is on the loose, his owner died a few days ago and nobody can catch Sam, a middle aged black cat who is very shy and obviously distressed at the loss of his carer. Fortunately there are people willing to feed him and watch the trap, Sam needs to be caught soon so we can bring him to safety.I hope it doesnt take too long.
The sun has been shining here all day, so off with the jeans and on with the shorts -only problem is that they are no protection against boisterous dogs jumping up, I am covered in scratches and bruises already and look as though I have gone 5 rounds with Mike Tyson.
One of our permanent cats Big Ginge has gone missing, nobody has seen him for a week now, he was always around with the other feral cats and I fear the worst.Ginge was one of the last surving cats we took from a home in Anglesey, he never missed a meal so it soes not look good.It is a mystery, there is no traffic here, it is unlikely that a fox has taken him so where can he be? He was old but not on his last legs by any means < I hope he has not fallen foul of a human predator?

No comments: