Thursday 22 May 2008

Felix brings joy to a visitor.


Felix, one of our resident cats brought a moment of sheer happiness to a wheelchair bound visitor to the shelter. Felix, who never misses a chance for extra affection ,leapt onto the knee of an elderly visitor and made her day! Marjorie was brought here by a carer and was thrilled to see all the animals, she took a particular liking to Rocky our beautiful coloured horse and was just about to leave when Felix saw his opportunity for a cuddle.I had to capture the moment. Good old Felix!
It is pouring with rain today but with the combination of this and the recent sun, the grass is really starting to grow again, its still warm enough for the horses to want to stay out and they are happier like this.I always feel desperately sorry for horses who stand in stables for most of the day, and in fact some are stabled all day which in my view is totally alien to the nature of a herd animal born to graze all day long. What really makes me mad is when I see contraptions put across the opening of a stable, to prevent the animal inside weaving his head from side to side, considered to be a real bad habit. Weaving is caused by sheer boredom, its a human created habit so why penalise the horse even more by restricting even his head movement? Let him out to do what horses do naturally!
A young collie was brought to the shelter today, thankfully he gets on with my dogs so can stay until we find him a home, Rosie is still fostering the black and tan bitch, it does not look like an owner is going to claim Tasha (our name for her)now so she will be spayed as soon as I can arrange an appointment.
The last rabbbit has gone today to a home with people who have 2 of our ponies, they have just lost one of their own rabbits so I am really pleased that Bank Holiday Bunny is going to live with them.He will have a good home there.
Yesterday was another trustee meeting in Liverpool, with the travelling backwards and forwards it is a long day and I feel very tired today so my plan to climb Snowdon has been postponed until next week.Not to worry, I will still get some training in tomorrow at martial arts class. I whave been watching a documentary on a group of disabled people climbing the Andes, it was truly amazing and inspirational. I am spurred on to train as much as possible for the big trek in spetember.

No comments: