Thursday 20 March 2008

Sallys Big Day


It must have been fate that I mentioned Pal and Sally in my last entry. They have been here over ayear and after this length of time there is always the feeling that they may NEVER find homes and will become permanent residents here. That is not what I want, this is a rehoming centre as well as a sanctuary and young animals should have a chance of a loving home whenever possible.Well yesterday Sally went off to a new home, she immediately fell in love with the lady, it seems a match made in heaven and I am so anxious for it to work out for her.hardly had any sleep last night thinking about her and wondering how she is.I know it is the best option for her, but I still worry.After all , this shelter became her security blanket after her traunatic life leading up to the police finding her dead owner and bringing her here late one evening.Poor Sally had little trust with people she didnt know and needed a sensible person who can deal with this. I will be waiting anxiously for news. Now I have to concentrate on finding Pal a good home, his problem is not insurmountable, he just needs someone with patience and experience of boisterous dogs. Pal is tireless when it conmes to exercise, I have yet to see him tired after a walk, he can be overpowering but if the right person has turned up for dear Sally, then I know there is someone out there for Pal. Like me he is missing her but he just needs another lively young dog to play with and he will be fine.(wish I was so easily pleased!)
Today William and Walter, the shetlands went off to their new home on Anglesey, their field needs to be rested now until we get some new grass coming through.It wont be long before we will need to think of fertilising the fields again to promote new growth and we neeed to blitz the weeds before they take control this year. Quite a bit of fencing needs replacing though this will have to wait until there is more money in the pot.The jobs here seem never ending, a volunteer turned up the other day and painted one of the field shelters with wood preserver, it took him several hours but he did a good job, one down 2 to go!Slowly but surely we seem to be attracting a few volunteers and a couple have even turned out to be regulars which is exactly what is needed.It would make the world of difference if just one helper turned up every day(chance would be a fine thing)but maybe it will happen eventually. I think we are moving in the right direction.
When I was returning home yesterday evening it was dark and as the car turned up the track, a nightjar(at least I think it was) flew up in the field and for just a moment was exposed by the lights.I knew there were some about but have never seen one before so was quite excited.
It surprises me that in such a rural location I have only ever seen one hedgehog and that was 6 years ago, where have they all gone? have they been poisoned by insecticides? Its a mystery.There are foxes about, one has been seen here and when I first moved here I saw an albino badger a few miles away though not seen any since.I believe there are otters just outside Porthmadog which i would love to see, must take a trip out there.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
roy said...

Pleased to hear Sally has new home I hope it is a success .I have known her for a long time .she was born on the day Wales won the Rugby grand slam last time and now she has a home when they have won it again .Her original name was [grand slam.] Poor Pal I bet he misses her

Bexta said...

Hello Lesley and everyone at Freshfields!

Was just reading your latest blog and it reminded me of the lovely sunny days when I used to work with you. I'm glad to hear your re-homing lots of animals! I have actually set up a standing order to Freshfields as I have taken two birds to the Liverpool branch (the best bird sanctuary I have found!) and felt I should contribute to their keep. Besides Scooter - the blue and white male budgie which you very kindly took up to the sanctuary for me a few years ago - I have also now taken a yellow budgie hen (after much persuasion from the owner, which wasn't being looked after very well) up to Liverpool. I'm sure they are both very happy in their new homes with all their other budgie freinds!

I will look forward to reading your next blog!

Becky Brooke (now living in Didsbury, Manchester)