Sunday 14 October 2007

Beagle or Foxhound?


The last person who made a comment on my blog made a very true statement.I totally agree with you Pamela/ People can find their local animal shelter very quickly when they want to get rid of an animal but when it comes to gaining support its a different matter. Starting up a shelter is harder than I remembered, though when I concentrate and think back I do remember the frustrations and despair involved. For years I dreamt of having a real shelter where animals would not have a set time limit on finding a home, a sanctuary for the animals other shelters would turn away, the problem pets, the elderly animals whose owners had died or had been abandoned because they cost too much momey to care for.It took years and years before Freshfields became known on Merseyside and now the struggle begins again here in North Wales.As I write this another person has turned up with an unwanted cat.I will have to take the cat, she looks in a bad way, very neglected but we really are full to capacity now. I am just about to email the local newspapers to try and get an article in one , or all of them highlighting the urgency of the situation.Yesterday I was asked to take a 7 months cross collie/rottweiller which was too lively for its owner! I was lucky that I found a foster home for him, but I have just received an urgent call requesting I take in a dog purchased only 2 days ago!!! The owner says she cannot cope, the dog is too lively, she must go today, the dog is a 6 months old Beagle, what do people expect, if you get a puppy then you get puppy behaviour.I will try and find somewhere for this dog to go so I must go to make some calls.
PS Woman turned up with "Beagle" which looks more like a foxhound to me but equally as loveable.Im trying her in the house with Molly the Great dane and her pals and hope that they get on well! If not I will need a foster home for her. Pictured above is Honey the Foxhound.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Not everybody following the day to day fortunes and misfortunes of Freshfields on this blog, are going to live in the area which enables them to pick up the newspaper to see the column . Is it possible to cut and paste it into here?
Pamela

lesley said...

Good point Pamela, however I am not clever with the computer and have no idea how to do this, please advise.
Lesley