Thursday 20 September 2007

Caspars operation day




Todays the day Caspar loses his hidden testicle!! I will be nowhere near when the vet arrives to perform the operation which will take place in one of the stables.Even after 30 years of doing this work and visiting veterinary sugeries, I still am unable to witness anything remotely gory and if a needle appears I am quite likely to pass out!Unfortunately for me I have pernicious anaemia which means I have to have an injection of B12 every 12 weeks. I feel sorry for the very patient and understanding medical staff at my local surgery who have to put up with my terror and histrionics, if any of them read this my apologies for my behaviour and gratitude for their kindness. I read yesterday a patch is being developed to be used instead of injections for those who need regular injections for various problems so maybe thats something to look forward to.
Jimmy the ex racehorse has gone to a new home and Murphy our big beautiful cross Irish Draft is going in the next week to be a companion to an even bigger Shire horse.I have been asked today to take a horse with a back problem but I need to find homes for the 2 pairs of Shetland ponies Walter and William and Sam and Murphy, before I will have room to take him.Walter and William were due to go to a home but the people have changed their minds - better they do so now than later when the ponies had arrived. Its a worry when I receive requests to take horses that I cant accommodate, my concern is always what will happen to them if I say no. So many Horse welfare societies deal mainly with cruelty cases so do not have room or resources for others which are unwanted.Understandably what room there is at shelters SHOULD be reserved for those animals most in need. The trouble is this throw away society we live in means so many equines end up at market at the end of their riding days and of course who will buy them, nobody wants a lame horse or one with a back problem.There is only one place for them- the meat lorry!!! What an end for these beautiful creatures which give their all to their owners to be discarded at the end of their usefulness. I make no apology for getting on my high horse every now and again (forgive the pun) about this issue.Its one which distresses me and angers me intensely. Look at the photo above of big Murphy , he is just 8 years old and on the scrapheap! If Freshfields had not taken him he would be dead now. Unbelievable isnt it. He is such a wonderful animal, so gentle.Im sure he will be appreciated in his new home.

No comments: