Thursday 16 August 2007

William has a midlife crisis


There are another 3 horses at the shelter. I responded to a call a few weeks ago which was an urgent plea for help from a lady whose daughter had died tragically . The family were unable to cope with her animals so we decided to take them.With 2 of ours going out on loan last week, there was space for a few more.
They arrived on Tuesday, Jimmy is a chestnut ex racehorse,the 2 ponies Sam and Murphy were both originally rescued from a life of neglect, there are still 2 more to arrive - Heather ,another shetland pony and her 3 weeks old foal.Fortunately we have a foster home for them until we can complete another stable and paddock area(The work has begun) The three new arrivals have settled in extremely well.The big horse Jimmy has joined Big Murphy and his friends and all seem to be getting on very well together.The 2 ponies are in a field on their own for the time being but will probably mix with another group in the near future.
We are doing well with the cats at the moment, the marvellous catchat website brings us so many good homes and yesterday we rehomed 4 cats to a family of cat lovers in Prestatyn. I think around 60 percent of our cats are now being rehomed via that website, it has been a great help.If you are a cat lover, check it out.www.catchat.org I would love to have such an interesting and well designed website.Perhaps I need to find out who their web designer is?
Im having a bit of a problem with William my resident lurcher dog and close companion! William is a real character and is the mascot of this shelter, he even appears on the Freshfields Tshirts.Usually he is never very far away from me or my car but in spite of being neutered he has lately taken to visiting a female dog in the village! I am not at all happy about this because although I encourage William to have friends of his own species I do not want him wandering off the property! He muist be around 12 years of age now, he was middle aged when he came to me 5 years ago and of course he has been neutered so I have no idea why this is happening, perhaps he is having a mid life crisis! Luckily this is a very rural area and everybody knows William so he will not come to any harm from local farmers but there is always concern that he could have an accident. I am trying my best to contain him for the time being.I do have an enclosed garden here but William does not get on with all the other dogs who have constant access to that, which is why he spends his time with us following people around the fields and yard. This is most unlike him, i can only hope he will lose interest in his new found friend and quickly!!

No comments: